Main Building

The Main Building, Friends’ Central’s first building on its City Avenue Campus, was originally a Victorian mansion built in 1892. The first floor of the Main Building houses offices for Admission, Development, Communications, Business, and the Head of School. The second floor houses the Upper School Office and the English Department. History and Spanish classrooms occupy the third floor.

Language Building

Built in 1996, the Language Building is home to several language classrooms and the school’s College Counseling Office. The atrium in the Language Building is a popular student gathering spot, also used for parent meetings. 

Fannie Cox Center (FCC)

The Fannie Cox Center for Science, Math, and Technology (FCC) was completed in 2003. The classrooms were designed to maximize natural light and provide both classroom and lab space for ongoing experiments. The Reading Room, Farraday Seminar Room, and Lecture Hall also provide areas for students and faculty to coexist outside the classroom to foster learning through collaboration – both casual and formal. The FCC is also home to the MakerSpace, Friends’ Central’s STEAM headquarters.

Shallcross Hall

The first floor of Shallcross Hall is home to the dining hall, the Nurse's office, a visual arts exhibition space, the School Store, and theater and Meeting Room, where the community gathers for weekly Meeting for Worship. On the second floor are the art studios, music rooms, and, the School's permanent art collection. And, on the lower level, is a ceramics studios and the Woodshop.

Middle School

The recently-renovated Middle School is home to social studies, language arts, science, and math classes for grades 6-8, and the Middle School administrative offices. Room 10, a collaborative space, is a Smart classroom, equipped with five LED screens, wireless technology, and a central meeting area.

Blackburn Library

Blackburn Library houses Friends’ Central’s collection of books and periodicals in addition to being home to the archives and the Technology department. The library also has a group study space that features whiteboard walls, Apple TV, and a Chromebox. 

Rex Gym

Rex Gym was opened in 1925 and named in memory of Percival Rex, Friends’ Central alumnus, teacher, and Assistant Principal. It is used as a multipurpose facility for Upper School team practices, Middle School Physical Education rotation classes, and occasionally for Meeting for Worship and class meetings. Rex gymnasium also contains our Dance Studio, as well as locker room facilities.

Linton Gym

Linton Gym opened in 1943 and is named in memory of Jesse Linton, Friends’ Central School Trustee. Linton Gym is used as a competitive and practice facility for Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School teams. It it is also used for tournaments, class meetings, dance performances, social gatherings, and Physical Education classes. The athletic training room can also be found in Linton Gym.

Shimada Athletic Center

Completed in 2000, the Shimada Athletic Center features a competition-sized swimming pool, Athletic offices, wrestling room, a fitness center, a basketball gymnasium, and archival photos that display the rich history of athletics at Friends' Central. It also contains locker rooms, an equipment room, concession area, team rooms, and common areas that display athletic awards. The SAC is a center of activity after regular School hours.

Tennis Center

The Tennis Center is equipped with seven tennis courts and used by the Varsity and JV boys' and girls' tennis teams for practice and matches. Middle School students also utilize this space during Physical Education classes.

Swimming Pool

The lower level of the Shimada Athletic Center is the home of the Friends' Central Waterpolo and Swim Teams, as well as the Friends' Central Aquatics program. The cutting edge facility is complete with a competition-sized pool, and an Endless Pool, an elite tool with adjustable water speed, mirrors and video monitors allowing coaches to analyze and to meet each swimmer’s individual needs. With this amazing facility to practice in, it's no wonder that the FCS swim teams are winningest teams in the Friends' League.  

Varsity Softball and JV Soccer

In the fall, you'll find JV boys' soccer hard at work during practice times on this field. In the spring, the three-time Friends' League Champion Varsity softball team practices and plays here.

Track, Boys' and Girls' Soccer

The track, newly renovated in the Summer of 2015, hosts Middle and Upper School track practices and meets. The field is home to boys' and girls' Varsity soccer.

Additional Playing Fields

In the fall, girls' soccer teams utilize these fields for practices and games. In the spring, boys' lacrosse and baseball practices and games are held here.

Girls' Field Hockey and Girls' Lacrosse

In the fall, these fields are the home base for the field hockey teams as well as being used for Middle School Physical Education classes. In the spring, the girls' lacrosse teams play and practice here.

JV and Middle School Softball

In the spring, this field is used by the JV and Middle School softball teams for practices and games.

Felsen Common

Completed in 2003, as an essential element of the School's master plan, the campus green was renamed the Felsen Common in 2012 to honor retiring Head of School, David M. Felsen. The Common serves as a central and unifying area, drawing each of the buildings that surround it together providing our students a place to gather, study, or throw a frisbee in their free time. 

Visitor Parking

The best way to experience Friends' Central is in person. Come visit! These spaces, reserved for Admission visitors, are located adjacent to the Main Building where the Admission Office can be found on the first floor.

Main Parking Lot

Parents and visitors to campus use this parking lot when they are on campus for performances, games, or meetings.
powered by finalsite