New Purchasing Options:
You can now purchase lunch one or two days a week!
One Day a Week: $190 (beginning October 31)
Two Days a week: $380 (beginning October 31)
When you sign up you don't have to specify whic day(s) your child will eat, just that he or she will eat once or twice each week. You may pick your days based on the weekly menu. If you are currently using MMP, and you would like to convert to the full meal plan now, you are welcome to do so! The cost for joining as of October 31 is $980.
Any Questions? Please email us at email@example.com!
The Lower School Food Initiative:
Inspiring children to work toward a healthier and more sustainable world by teaching them to source, produce, and prefer delicious, planet-friendly foods
Since September 2016, we have been implementing an innovative food program at the Lower School. Here’s what's on offer:
- Delicious, fresh-from-scratch, sustainable, and whenever possible, local and organic foods prepared in-house by expert chef Wadiya Gooden. Click here to see some sample menus! Chef Wadiya has years of experience preparing healthy food for children. Picky eaters? Allergies? Gluten sensitivity? Not a problem! Your child’s dietary needs will be addressed.
- Purchasing flexibility. It’s up to you – sign your child up for the yearlong Full Meal Plan and receive a 10% discount; or use our easy pre-pay debit system and decide week-by-week or day-by-day whether your child joins the fun at FCS or brings a packed lunch from home.
- A link between farm, garden, and table. The Friends’ Central lunch table is supplied overwhelmingly by local farms – including the expansive organic garden at FCS. Chef Wadiya introduces the meals to students and has time-tested methods for encouraging children to try new foods.
- Food that connects to curriculum. Is your child studying India in first grade? How about a lunch that brings Indian food to FCS?
- Opportunities to participate. Children have a chance to take part in food preparation in safe, age-appropriate ways. These include serving as table captains, helping create pizza flavors for Pizza Friday, and chopping toppings.
We believe in the link between healthy minds and healthy bodies. This change to our food service is an exciting step toward linking our curriculum and garden together with the food we eat. If you think you might like to sign your child up for our new food program but want to learn more, please email us now at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll schedule an opportunity for you to meet Chef Wadiya and taste a sample of the delicious food we have planned for our students.
Our Food Leader!
Lower School's Food Leader, Wadiya Gooden brings a wealth of experience. She has served as a lead Program Coordinator for the Vetri Foundation where she implemented "from scratch" cooking in seven different schools. She has also prepared meals for children at Penn Wynne Elementary School. In addition to her excellent cooking skills, she is an organic gardener and a true believer in the relationship between food and well being. When asked about joining the FCS community, Wadiya said, "For quite some time, I have been on a mission to feed children healthier meals. Now, I have been afforded the opportunity to do so in this amazing setting. It doesn't get any better than this!"