Tax Credits for Scholarships

Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) & Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC) Programs for Businesses

If you own a business, the Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) and the Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC) programs could be right for you. They are great ways to support Friends' Central and get a substantial tax credit for your business at the same time. Every gift made by a Pennsylvania business through one of these programs helps us open our doors to talented students with limited financial means. Friends' Central takes great pride in the socio-economic diversity of our School community, and we greatly appreciate all gifts that support this essential aspect of our mission.

The application process could not be simpler. Visit the EITC website, the OSTC website, or contact Bob Cotter by phone at 610-645-5076 or by email at rcotter@friendscentral.org, or Director of Annual Giving Kim Benjet by phone at 610-645-4499 or by email at kbenjet@friendscentral.org. We welcome your questions, and we hope this program can work for you and your company.

Friends Education Equity Collaborative Tax Program Credit for Individuals

The Friends Education Equity Collaborative was organized by staff and volunteers of 10 small Quaker elementary schools in the greater Philadelphia region. Local N-12 schools like Friends’ Central are partnering with the Collaborative.

The purpose of The Collaborative is to foster the growth of Quaker education by providing funding that makes a Quaker education accessible for more families.

For over a decade, Pennsylvania businesses have been providing scholarship dollars to Friends’ Central in exchange for state tax credits through the Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) and the Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC). Now, thanks to the Collaborative, the state tax credit opportunity is also available to individuals.

In 2016, the Collaborative formed a Special Purpose Entity (LLC) to help individual investors participate and receive state tax credit on up to 90% of their donations, as well as a federal tax deduction on the remaining 10%. Looking forward, the Collaborative is awaiting approval for more rounds of credits with two new LLC's.

If you qualify to participate in this opportunity, you will receive a 90% credit for your donation. You may also qualify for a federal deduction for the donation.

For more information contact:
Kim Emmons-Benjet, Director of Annual Giving, at 610-645-4499 or kbenjet@friendscentral.org
Friends Education Equity Collaborative c/o ABS, PO Box 254, Oreland, PA 19075

Member schools: Plymouth Meeting Friends School, Friends School Haverford, Goshen Friends School, Lansdowne Friends School, Media-Providence Friends School, Frankford Friends School, The Quaker School at Horsham, Stratford Friends School, United Friends School, West Chester Friends School

Participating schools: Delaware Valley Friends School, Friends’ Central School, Germantown Friends School

Donor Stories

When asked why he decided to invest in the Friends Education Equity Collaborative, FCS parent and trustee Paul Halpern replied, "It was a great way to give back to FCS! The state tax credit turns a small sacrifice into a big contribution ... it's like getting to take advantage of a 9:1 contribution matching program."

FEEC Qualification Guidelines

Do You Qualify for the Friends Education Equity Collaborative Tax Program Credit for Individuals?

If you can answer YES to any of these questions, you may qualify:

  1. Are you employed by, or a partner in, a for-profit business and your annual personal income exceeds $200,000 (or $300,000 for a couple)? (Sole proprietorship are not qualified.)
  2. Are you are employed by a not-for-profit and your annual personal income exceeds $200,000 (or $300,000 for a couple) or your net worth exceeds $1,000,000, excluding the value of your primary residence, and you own stock in any Pennsylvania incorporated “business firm”?
  3. Are you retired and your annual personal income exceeds $200,000 (or $300,000 for a couple) or your net worth exceeds $1,000,000, excluding the value of your primary residence, and you own stock in any Pennsylvania incorporated “business firm”?
  4. Are you an owner of a Pennsylvania Corporation or Partnership that has net assets in excess of $5,000,000?
  5. Are you an officer of a Bank or Savings and Loan, acting in a fiduciary or professional capacity?
  6. Are you an officer of an Insurance Company, acting on behalf of the company?
  7. Are you an officer or representative of a Trust, with total assets in excess of $5,000,000, acting on behalf of the Trust?