Brie Daley, Light Lab Director
Brie's creativity, desire to collaborate, and motivation to continue learning and model the joy of learning make her a perfect fit for Friends’ Central and an exciting person to lead The Ulmer Family Light Lab.
Brie began her career as a second grade teacher at Baldwin. She went on to work with a small team of teachers and administrators that conceived the DREAM (design, robotics, engineering, art, and math) Labs®, which Brie directed for two years. She also taught after-school enrichment for Robotics and Creative Design.
Brie is thrilled about the prospect of directing Friends' Central's Light Lab. "Through the addition of this amazing, cutting-edge facility," Brie said,
"I feel honored to help support new opportunities that further empower the FCS community to fulfill its Vision: to awaken courage and intellect – and peacefully transform the world.”
Brie's combination of passion for staying on the cutting edge of Maker Education and her warm, collaborative nature is striking and unusual. We look forward to the many gifts her leadership will bring to the Lower School and Maker Education at Friends’ Central.
Light Advisory Board
To ensure that Friends' Central's curriculum remains at the forefront of creative and collaborative education, we have created an Advisory Board of national thought leaders in Maker Education whose role will be to challenge and inspire educators as we engage in long-term, strategic thinking about the potential for learning and teaching in this unprecedented facility. The Advisory Board will lift up Friends' Central School and the Light Lab in national conversations and connect the School with organizations in greater Philadelphia so this resource can be shared with teachers and students in neighboring communities.
- Colin Angevine '05 - Chief Operating Officer, jEugene; former STEAM and Makerspace Director and teacher, Friends' Central School
- Brie Daley - Director, Ulmer Family Light Lab, Friends' Central School; Founding Director, DREAM Labs at The Baldwin School
- Yasmin B. Kafai - Chair, Teaching, Learning and Leadership Division, UPenn Graduate School of Education; author of Connected Code: Why Children Need to Learn Programming
- Jessica Parker - Education Community Manager, Maker Ed; author of Teaching Tech-Savvy Kids: Bringing Digital Media into the Classroom
- Kelly Bird Pierre - Lower School Principal, Friends' Central School
- Mariama Richards - Assistant Head of School for Academic Program, Friends' Central School
- AnnMarie Polsenberg Thomas '97 - Associate Professor, School of Engineering, Schulze School of Entrepreneurship and the Opus College of Business, St. Thomas University; Founder/Director, Playful Learning Lab; Author of Making Makers: Kids, Tools, and the Future of Innovation
- Craig N. Sellers - Head of School, Friends' Central School
- Lisa Kay Solomon '89 - Adjunct Professor, Design Strategy Program, California College of the Arts; Founder, Innovation Studio; Author of Moments of Impact: How to Design Strategic Conversations that Accelerate Change
- Josh Weisgrau - Project Director, Learning Studios with Digital Promise Global; former STEAM and Makerspace teacher, Friends' Central School