Friends’ Central is committed to supporting the transportation needs of its students. There is a range of options available, including
- Free Public School busing within a 10 mile radius of either campus
- SEPTA trains and buses which drop off at the Overbrook Train Station and 63rd and Malvern Bus Depot. A free FCS Shuttle will will complete the route with pick-ups and drop-offs, in both the AM and PM.
- FCS Route Service which is a for-fee service consisting of specific routes that support pick-ups in suburban and city neighborhoods. Please note: routes are contingent on minimum ridership.
- A free Center City route for students in Pre-K through grade 5 (after grade 5, this service is offered on a fee basis)
- Starting September 2018: a Center City after care and transport hub for Lower School families
Buses are staffed with experienced and safe drivers who meet all state and federal requirements.
Friends’ Central is thrilled to announce that we are now offering extended day and transportation at the Trinity Center for Urban Life at 2212 Spruce Street in Center City Philadelphia. Read more.
Zip Codes within a 10-Mile Radius of Friends' Central School
Route Busing: Friends' Central provides route busing through our partner Phillytrans. The current routes cover the following geographic areas:
- Bryn Mawr and Gladwynne bordered by Route 23/Spring Mill Rd and Montgomery Avenue
- West Philadelphia
- Center City bordered by 2nd St/Christian St/22nd St and Fairmount
This is a for-fee service, and families are asked to register and pay via Veracross on a semester or annual basis. Center City routes for Lower School students is free.
Overbrook Shuttle: Friends’ Central also sponsors a shuttle to the Overbrook Station and 63rd and Malvern Bus Depot. This shuttle runs a continuous loop in the morning, starting at 7:45 am until 8:15 am. In the afternoon, the bus departs at 3:20 pm and 5:40 pm.
Inter-Campus Shuttle: Friends' Central also sponsors an Inter-Campus shuttle between the City Avenue and Lower School campuses in the morning and afternoon. There is a fee for this service.
For more information or if you have questions about Friends' Central busing, please email JB Bowie, Director of Transportation, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view pricing information and to register for FCS operated buses, please click here.
The school districts listed below will provide school bus transportation to Friends’ Central School campuses. Their contact information is provided. If you have questions about your route, or eligibility, please contact the district directly.
FCS notifies school districts of eligible FCS students annually in July and as required during the academic year. School districts then contact families directly to process requests for busing. Families should receive route information annually no later than the third week of August.
- Please note that Lower Merion School District sends routes to FCS for distribution via email.
- The School District of Philadelphia (SDoP) provides Transpasses for students in grades 9 through 12. Transpasses are bus passes that can be used to defray the cost of SEPTA Rail passes. Students eligible for SDoP Transpasses will pick them up and sign for them weekly in the FCS Business Office.
If you have any questions about Public School busing, please contact JB Bowie, FCS Transportation Manager at email@example.com.
Friends' Central's City Avenue campus is conveniently located within a short commuting distance of both the SEPTA Overbrook Train Station (with service from Paoli-Thorndale through Philadelphia), and SEPTA's 63rd and Malvern Bus Depot (one block from Overbrook Train Station). There is a regular, no-fee shuttle service that runs a continuous loop in the morning, starting at 7:45 am and running until 8:15 am. In the afternoon, the bus departs at 3:20 pm and 5:40 pm.
Upper School students of legal age with a valid driver's license may choose to drive to Friends' Central. There is limited on-campus parking. Seniors (and Juniors after Spring Break) can apply for on-campus parking permit for a fee.
After registering and submitting payment online here, students must contact READ DeSabato to obtain their pass before parking on campus. On-campus parking passes are $50 each for the full school year.